Are you having serious trouble with termites in your home? Now is the time for you to learn how to get rid of termites. These pests will literally eat you out of your house and home if you don't take action. Here are some handy tips on how to recognize 5 things you didn't realize were attracting termites to your home.
1. Random Piles of WoodThe first step in effective termite control is knowing where they congregate. Do you have piles of firewood or leftover branches from tree trimming in your yard? This is a potential hot spot for the presence of termites. They can first congregate in great numbers in this pile, then move from there to your home.
Your best bet in such a situation is to remove all such piles of wood as soon as possible. Get them cut down to a manageable size and then disposed of in a quick and safe manner. The sooner you do so, the sooner you will remove one of the biggest incentives for the presence of termites in or near your home.
2. Excess Piles of FoliageWhen it comes to learning how to get rid of termites, you have to examine each and every potential gathering ground for these pests. This means giving close attention to any piles of foliage that may be lying around in your front or back yard. They may have gathered there naturally or been placed there after a clean up job.
Whatever the reason may be, you need to properly dispose of these excess piles of foliage as soon as possible. Dead trees, leaves, and other natural debris will tend to rot. As it does so, it will attract termites, wasps, and other unwanted pests. The sooner you banish this foliage from your yard, the sooner your home will be safe.
3. Dead Leaves and Limbs from TreesAnother big issue for ongoing termite control is getting rid of dead tree leaves and limbs. These are wood items that attract termites like flies. Since termites eat wood, this is one of the articles of debris that will most surely draw them in great numbers. While they do not tend to eat leaves, they can easily hide in a pile of them.
For this reason, you want to make sure not to leave dead leaves and limbs from trees lying around in your yard. After a tree trimming or removal operation, make sure to clear the debris away as soon as you can. Doing so will ensure that your yard stays clean and neat. It will also remove a major gathering point for termites.
4. Excess Piles of MulchWhen it comes to learning how to get rid of termites, one of the best lessons you can absorb is not to leave excess piles of mulch lying around. As soon as your yard has been fertilized in the proper fashion, get rid of the excess. This is because mulch can be fed on as well as hidden in by termites and many other types of pests.
Pest control companies in Polk County are unanimous in their warnings against leaving excess mulch in your yard. Mulch should always be kept at a distance of at least 15 inches from the foundation of your home.
5. Clogged Up GuttersAnother major cause for concern is clogged up gutters. This could lead to a variety of problems, including the presence of large numbers of termites in or near your home. The build up of an excess amount of leaves and twigs is a danger to the security of your property.
This is due to the fact that excess moisture from foreign matter in your gutter can soften up or rot the roof of your home. If left unattended, these soft spots could ultimately allow termites and other pests to penetrate your roof and infest your property. A regular gutter cleaning will prevent this from occurring.
Get Expert Pest Control in Polk CountyJ.P.'s Termite & Pest Control, Inc. is one of the foremost pest control companies in Polk County. No matter what your problem with termites may be, you can rely on us for quick and cost effective relief. We can arrange for our friendly and knowledgeable service team to come to your home in order to diagnose the issue.
Once we know what needs to be done, we will get right to it. We offer you state of the art service with no surprises and no hidden fees. We are your one stop shop for top level termite control. Get in touch with us today by requesting a quote online or calling 863-581-2104 to learn what one of the most acclaimed pest control companies in Polk County can do to help you.
Subterranean termites may cause a lot of damage to a home in a short time, which is why it is so important to stay educated about them and inspect your property regularly. These termites usually start to swarm in the warm and rainy months. Pest control companies in Polk County should be suggesting seasonal visits to your property to make sure that everything is done to avoid an undetected infestation.
About Subterranean Termites
There are three types of subterranean termites, which include reproductives, soldiers, and workers. The queen of the colony, the alates, and the king makeup the reproductives group. If you come across a queen, you will notice that it is much bigger than all of the other termites. Depending on how news the colony is, a queen can lay between a dozen and 1000 eggs a day. This is why catching subterranean termites early is very important for the structure of your home.
The alates are also known as the swarmer termites. These termites are darker than the other ones and have translucent wings. The most common sign of an infestation is noticing swarmer termites or their left-behind wings in areas such as your window seal.
The soldier and worker termites have cream or beige colored bodies and are usually not noticed first. Every State in the United States except for Alaska has subterranean termites.
Keeping Subterranean Termites Away from Your Property
The best way to be productive with termite control is to make sure that they avoid your home altogether. There are some things you can do to try to prevent termites on your own. The first way is to make sure that water doesn't settle near your home for long periods. It is also important to have proper ventilation in your home and to keep old wood away from your house.
Checking your property regularly for termites can help you detect them early. Consistently inspecting your home's foundation for mud tubes that protect the travels of the termites can help you discover them early. You can also inspect the inside of your home for flooring that seems softer and bubbles in the paint or walls. Remember to check behind furniture and in out-of-the-way areas such as the corner of closets. Seasonal termite control by a professional is one way to stay ahead of a major structural problem.
If you still aren't sure that you have a termite problem, one of the best ways to check is by inspecting your property the morning after a rainy evening. If it is warm outside, you may see swarmer termites around your property. While many termites enter through areas close to the foundation, you may also have an infestation that starts higher up on your home.
Being proactive in a damp and humid State, such as Florida, is the best way to make sure that you catch subterranean termites early and can get rid of them with minimal damage.
How to Get Rid of Termites
The best way to get rid of termites is to hire a professional pest control company in Polk County. A professional will know exactly how to get rid of termites around your property and advise you on keeping them away long-term. It is important to have a professional inspect the damage to the property, find the termites, and come up with a solid plan to eliminate them quickly. Once the termites are gone, then you should have any structural damage repaired as soon as possible to avoid any further issues. If you have an infestation of termites or want a seasonal inspection, contact us at J.P.'s Termite & Pest Control, Inc., one of the most reliable pest control companies in Polk County. Give us a call at 863-581-2104, or submit our Pricing Request Form here.
In 1999, I decided to start my own pest control business so I could have more flexibility in order to be involved in my sons' sporting activities (and to be able to fish when I wanted to). Twenty years later, I'm proud to have my sons working with me helping grow the company!